Thursday, October 10, 2013

Thursday Blogtoberfest 10

Pictures.  I am blessed with pictures, pictures, pictures.  I have my own and my hubbys.  No small stack as we both have been photography enthusiasts our whole lives.

Since my folks have both passed, I have not only adopted the boxes upon boxes of theirs, but also most of the grandparents.  Thats ok, not complaining, I love them!  Not quite sure what MY kids will do with all of these someday, but that can't be my concern.

My hubbys parents are both gone now, and he adopted as much or more than I have.  We don't know some of the people in these pics, a reminder to all of us to make sure we write on the back of each and every picture: who, what, when.

With digital, I suppose that everyone will just keep their pics in their phones. or on their camera cards until, when?  Til that technology is outdated?  (Think albums, 8 tracks, cassettes, and now CDs are almost relics since everyone can access music on the web!  All of these were state of the art at one time!)

Anyway, I digress...
I came across some wonderful old pics of my grandparents.  These have to be early 1900's.  Love the fashions and the smiles.... (will my grandchildren ever run across pics of me when they're older?) they will probably be in some hard drive in the bottom of the ocean, or lost with a phone somewhere.

I found one, of my grandmother and a gentleman standing near a bi-plane.  It is fading, and the other day, I decided I would do something with it.  I scanned it of course, wanting to do something artistic with it, but as its black and white, should I colorize it?  Should I stay true to the date of the picture and stay black and white?  Paint? Colored pencil? Pastel? Airbrush? HOW?

Well I haven't done a pencil drawing in quite a while.  And I only used a mechanical, so nothing fancy-dancy.  Very basic tools.

I like the choice I made.  It needs to stay black and white to ring true to the flavor of how old this pic really is.  ( I know everyone saw color back then, but the film could only do B&W)

I remember a conversation with my Grandpa around the end of the 1970's.  He was telling me that he appreciated the time he got to spend on this earth. He got to see telephones, air travel, televisions, cars, lights, indoor plumbing, and computers come into existence.  That IS a pretty cool time to be around!  Like the day my Grandma stood next to this plane in a little remote place on a winters day in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - what a stir that must have caused!

I lost my Grandma in 1964 to Breast Cancer.  I am thinking I might put a little pink ribbon on the plane.  It IS Breast Cancer Awareness month, after all.

Lets take a vote!  Yes, pink ribbon, No, leave it alone.  Any opinions?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...