Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Years Eve 2013

I can't remember when the last time was that we had a quiet NYE at home.  And its all good with me.

The weather outside is frightening.  Single digits and windy, with 4-6 inches predicted.  Just a good night to stay in. 

Looking back on this year, I have warm fuzzies.  We went 600 miles (one way) to my family reunion.  Not sure how many more of those there will be, but it was good to see everyone again.   I was finally hired at the job I have temped at for the last two and a half years. We went to Art Prize again this year!  We have been able to take a couple short trips this year, and each have been memorable.  Everyone I love is healthy and happy.  Life is good.

The new year looks exciting to me.  I can't wait to watch the Olympics.  I am looking forward to going to going to ArtPrize again this year.  And possibly a graduation is in our future!  How exciting would that be?

Like I previously posted, one of my new years resolutions is not to always paint on canvas.  To recycle and paint on things that I already have.  To use up some of those supplies I have in my art room that I have saved for 'someday'.   Do more recycled art.   Like those wooden block Santas I did.  Those were scraps that were headed for someones wood burner.

Today, for about a dollar, I made eight coasters that look like this:

Made from beer cartons and 4 inch tiles. I think they turned out awesome! Thank you Pinterest.  I think I will give some as a gift for a Man cave and keep making some until all those beer cartons I liked the art on (and brought home so they wouldn't get thrown away )  are recycled into something useful.  Maybe, next craft show season, (next fall) I will finally have something to sell!

My friend Terri also invited me to join an Art Journal class for the New Year, and we start off needing a three ring binder and some heavy paper pages.  Just so happens, in my art room, I saved some 4 inch binders from the dumpster (there was nothing wrong with them, except they had titles on them).  SO, I am designing up the outside with some duct tape and some adhesive vinyl to house the journal.  

The pages for the journal?  My friend, Barb, rescued a TON of paper, (different colors, light weight up to cardstock) from the dumpster at her work.  (corporations can throw out soooo much good stuff) I have used a lot of this paper for years, but some of it is even three hole punched!!  Its just been waiting for this project!!  I am jazzed about doing this journal!
So, so far, my recycled, use-what-you've-got resolution is working well!!

This Friday is the First Friday of the month and I am displaying at the Pool Hall.   I have to get things around for that tomorrow while I am off.  Hmmmm.... what to take to a Pool Hall... ???

Always an adventure!  Stay tuned!



1 comment:

  1. It's awesome to be able to use what we have for our art journal - going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think...