Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Gratitude: Day 27...

Tonight as I make a few things for our Thanksgiving festivities tomorrow, our two sons are home, and because they live away, all the old buddies have come over to see them while they are home.  Its so good to see the old gang.  Surprisingly most of the guys aren't married yet, most are either done with college and starting their careers or just finishing up college.  They are walking in my house like they know the place (they do!) and greeting us with hugs, and visiting with us a bit before heading for the rec room in the basement.  I hear the cajoling and the laughs, and the sounds of good friends getting together again wafting up under the floorboards.  It does my heart good.
Who knew that those kids that hung out here for so many years, have grown into a cop, a nurse, a manufacturing manager, a teacher, an engineer and the ones that are finishing up college are showing promise as well.
One of the comments we heard tonight was "I remember this place being bigger" and we smiled because the kids have gotten bigger, the basement is the same.
I am thankful that they still come in and feel not only welcome, but comfortable.  I am thankful for the hugs as they seem truly glad to see us.  I am glad our sons have forged these friendships forever. Thats important in life, and I am almost jealous that they have so many really good friends that have been friends since grade school.
Seems like old times.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...