Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Gratitude: Day 12

Today is 11/12/13.  Supposively a lucky number!  And as I am writing this at 530 pm, most of it has passed, its been a good day.

Even if it DID start out as the first on-the-ground snow this morning, and its still hanging around, I will give it props.   Those that know me, hear my rants about winter.   Alas, I live in Michigan, "The Winter Wonderland" as it once was called.  As much as I love our state, shore to shore, I need to embrace the colder months more than I do, and show the gratitude that I can't deny.

I realize Winter has a purpose.  I only rant because it laps out of the three months that is meant to be Winter: Dec, Jan, and Feb.  Its November, which should be part of FALL yet!  and do you think March doesn't end up being part of Winter?  Winter stretches out like an unwanted guest on your couch. It doesn't mind taking more than its allotted.  And trust me, after the holidays, everyone is tired of it.

But it is beautiful in its way, so I guess I will give winter its due:  it can be pretty.  It kills off allergens outside and keeps the bug population from getting out of hand.  Snow helps our Great Lakes (as well as all the rest of them spread throughout our Great State) retain the levels that keep them hearty. And that is near and dear to me.

If I was a snowmobiler, or a skier, I am sure I would love it more.  I am more of a hibernator.  But there is something to be said for that too.  I love to bake when its cold outside.  I spend more time on genealogy and painting than I do during the summer.  As long as you are cooped up, you might as well clean the sock drawer!  So, there IS that!

I think I will go bake something because I'm in for the night. 



1 comment:

  1. Oh, I missed 11/12/13! I think I will pretend to be European and celebrate on December 11th.

    Winter is very long up here in Vermont, too, and that makes it much harder than the intensity of it. I tried snow shoeing for the first time last year and enjoyed it, which might help this year. It is very beautiful, but I won't complain if the snow stops earlier than usual (not uncommon for us to get a blizzard in early April).

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think...