Sunday, March 2, 2014

March 2, 2014

“Where” is your creative work going? Envision yourself and your work five years or more from now.
  • Who are you and what do you see your work as “being”?
  • How is your work “evolving” and “becoming”?
  • What about your work inspires you? Inspires others?
  • Where are you going and what are you doing after this (five-year) point in the future?
As you envision your creative future, you are invited to think BIG and write as vividly and descriptively as you can.
One fun approach to a prompt like this is to write an article about yourself from the perspective of a journalist reporting on your work and writing a laudatory article for a prestigious publication five years from now.
 ***************
I see my work as "being" scenes from everyday life.  Although I appreciate some awesome work of others with fantastic colors and patterns that I would love to try, I am more of a realist, which might appeal to more people, but is definately IN the box.  I usually work from a picture, but have done some things out of my head, with mixed results.  Sounds boring, doesn't it?  At least it does to me.  I hope to press the constraints of the box more in the future.  Maybe paint something a color it shouldn't be.... wow! Thinking on the edge now!

My work consists of old barns, lighthouses and trucks at the moment.  Maybe I like documenting things that are of times past and preserving them in my own way?  And people can relate to those things, so they like them, remembering old times.

Where do I see my art in five years?  I try not to look that far ahead, because I'm not a goal oriented person, (focusing on a goal may make you miss something along your path).  But, I suppose if I must: more of the same, but bigger, brighter, and better.  More unexpected twists.  Hopefully be able to sell more if for no other reason than to allow me to buy more paint!

Other creative news would be to write down some stories I have heard along the way of my life's path, just to document them for whatever reason.   I wrote a childrens book once, and it sits in my computer.    Maybe someday I will illustrate it and get it going.  I read that usually publishers don't buy books that are written and illustrated by the same person, so it put me off.  There are a million childrens books, anyways, everyone has written one, right?

Like I said in my previous post, I do it for me, and not for others, so I will do what makes me happy, and who knows what that will be five years from now.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...