Saturday, March 1, 2014

March 1 2014

https://dkxeo0cgz08dq.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/C4wardMarch400.jpg

Ok, I am doing this with my friend Terri, who has a way for words.  I can't figure out how to put this button on the blog, so I may have to paste it in each day.  In fact, I kinda like that idea better.  Its only for 15 days, after all.  Hopefully the first day prompt will appear soon.  When it does, I'll be back.  Stay tuned!
 C4ward March Day 1: Defining Your Creative Mission


Tell us the big “why” behind the creative work you do.  Here are a few questions to consider as you write:
  • Why do you exist?
  • What is your purpose here on this earth?
  • How would you express the “why” behind your creative work in a few short sentences?
  • What do you want to be remembered for?
  • Can you think of three or more key words that embody the reason why you create art?
  • If you were to write a short, memorable, and inspirational t-shirt message about the purpose or mission for your creative work, what would it say?
As an artist, respond to this prompt in any way you would like and that gets your creative juices flowing. If just plain old writing doesn’t excite you, then write a poem, a rant, or a song. Sing or perform your answer and post the video. Take a photo, draw or paint an image. Use something you have created previously and use that as a starting place. 

 Ok, Here are my thoughts on this...
I am not sure why I exist, only that there are things, I believe, that need to be done to progress the world as we know it.  If I can do something in my little corner of the world, to help someone or to make the world better, THAT is why I exist.  I know that for a few things in my life, that there are gut sensations, where I know that what I have done is part of that... my children, for one, are my best accomplishments.  They are good human beings that I am sure will make a difference.  My hubby and I are a good team and we are lifers,  and we started on a gut feeling.
My art is for me because I have taken some resistance to my abilities so I do it because it makes me feel good.  Its my therapy, my outlet. If it makes you feel good, I am thrilled, but if it doesn't, I don't care.  The fact that some have asked to buy my art is always a pleasant surprise and some have convinced me that what I do just may appeal to others.  I always think "BONUS!" when that happens! But my work feels like part of me, and I have been working on finally letting go of those pieces and am trying to sell to some people. 
I hope I can leave this world a little better than when I entered it.  If that means having children or grandchildren that make a difference, or someone loves the art I made that hangs on their wall long after I am gone, or the charities I have done for, have helped someone make a turn in their lives, and into the lives of others.  I hope I make a ripple that is positive and productive.
Three words?  As selfish as it seems, I don't make art for anyone but me. So, one word would have to be something that inspires me.  I don't do well painting something that inspires someone else.  There are projects others give me that I feel enthusiastic about, that I do well at.  But I don't know if I would be good being a hired painter taking work for others because I have to every day.  I have learned that painting for others and not being satisfied with the outcome just frustrates me, the person I work for, and uses up all my creativity for nothing.  It has to speak to me personally, or neither of us will be wowed by it.  So... INSPIRATION is the first word.
Second is challenge.  Third would be probably be
The t-shirt message:  probably,  "I do it my way."  Although I cringe at that thought because I don't particularly like people who always have to do it their way.... their way or the highway.  I hope I am not one of those.  But with my art, I am.
I was hoping as I wrote, that the big "WHY" behind my creative work would emerge.  I just do it.  I do it because something appeals to me, because I challenge myself to try it, because someone once made me believe that I couldn't.  So for a long time, I didn't.  And now it fills a space, an empty spot, and a satisfaction of doing something I find beautiful.  Kind of like gardening.. you plant a seed, you nurture it and it produces something beautiful.  And maybe you can give that flower or vegetable to someone who appreciates it, or just keep it for yourself.  Either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...