Tuesday, December 11, 2012

December 11, 2012

I haven't done any painting or art lately, but I have been crafty.  The holidays always make me want to make gifts for people.  I wondered if putting my art on a calendar (via my little computer graphics program) would be a little simple gift that really didn't say GIFT, but would be something to give those that supported me this year...

You see, this year, I was finally able to show my art.  I took a great big breath and hung it out there for all to see.  (Kinda like streaking in front of the hometown crowd) Yeah, pretty big in my eyes.  And you know what?  I got a lot of good comments!  Some people asked if they could buy!  BUY??  You want to BUY it?
Wowsa.  Caught me off guard there.  Talk about good for my head!  

I struggle with letting my originals go, but I have made some prints to sell of some of the more popular ones.  Those originals are eating up precious floor space in the art room, and I must get over the thought that I shouldn't do any more art because "what would I do with it?".  Dang, I am way too practical.   To put floor space in front of my creativity!  What has gotten into me?

Anyway, a friend urged me to show my art at her place during the April First Friday event, and I have done it every month since, except one.  I have probably made less than 100 dollars on copies and greeting cards, and some friends and family have come to support me more than once.  My hubby has been helpful in loading it all and unloading it all and loading it all and unloading it all, and promoting my art, too.  I appreciate everyone that has come in to see, if they have done it once or a few times.  My brother and sister have come to cheer me on just about every month.  Thank you!  Its great to have groupies.

My mom always said that I was born with a pencil in my hand, (I always joked that that must have been hard on her, lol) because I drew a lot when I was a kid.  In 9th grade, my art teacher and I didn't see eye to eye.  I couldn't do anything right by her, and I ended up sitting in class, taking the E.  After that, I didn't do much art, but took photography to settle my creative mind.  It wasn't until 15 years later, that my hubby convinced me that I need to do more with my 'doodling.'  I  tried my hand at sign painting, something that could make a few bucks, which I liked, but needed more space, and wasn't wild about toxic stuff around the kids.  I took a commercial printing course that I hoped would show me more about art. A little but not what I really wanted to do.  I drove an hour each way, for about 6 months of Saturdays to take an airbrush class that I love, but don't do as often as I'd like. And back in the day of country home decorating, I took a local class where housewives painted a project every week around a table in someones basement.  Still use some of those techniques!

 The county I live in is kind of a dry county for art, but it is changing and I am excited to see the butterfly develop out of the cocoon.  I kind of feel that way too.  I am doing something with a gift that was almost squashed because of someones opinion long ago.  I am now coming out of my cocoon.

I don't know how many First Fridays I will do in the future.  I don't know how long my friends and family can stand to run and support.  And if I am not selling, (which that has never been my focus anyway), its just for the head rush of having someone like what I do.  I do my art to settle a need within me, or for therapy when I need it, so its for me anyway. 

I may need a month or two off.  January is a nice long cold month with nothing to do.  I will probably pull out the paints then.  Then, I probably will be excited again and want to show what I did.   Who knows? 
Stay tuned....


1 comment:

  1. oh winter months are fabulous for pulling out the paints!! it's a time to renew and plan ahead. a time to start! and sell....so keep looking ahead and yeah for putting yourself out there. best wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think...