Thursday, January 21, 2016

January 21 2015

I used to paint signs.  Did I ever tell you that?  I used to want to be a sign painter, and I did signs for a while.  It was something I could do while staying at home being a mom.  It was also before I starting painting seriously.  It was a way to use my creativity.

So, when the new restaurant in town came up to me and asked if I could paint a sign on their wall, (I already designed their logo and my rooster is hanging on the wall there) I am not sure why I said, "sure!"

The voices in my head were quarreling: "Really?  How long has that been?"  "I haven't done that for years! Sign painting is something you have to do often!"  "How hard could it be?"

I arranged a night, (I was sure it would only take me one evening) that I could do it, and didn't think about it again until that night, after work.  Threw paint, some brushes, some pencils, erasers, level and 90degree triangle in a box and off I went.  It was 5pm and the restaurant was open til 8.  Piece of cake, right?

As I am drawing out the letters on the wall, Doubt started setting in... (bitch!  She always shows up!)
"What makes you think you can do this after all this time?"  "Kinda ballsy, ain't cha?  Just think you can put paint on the wall in a public place and you should be shaking in my boots!"

First paint on the wall.  My thoughts:  "Man, bad choice of paint.... this is going to take two coats.  You are not getting the flow that you should be.  Between the paint on the wall and the paint you are using??? you can see every stroke and every line you drew out."  "Oh crap."

The owner comes over and says it looks good, with a little less enthusiasm than I would like and people stop by to comment on their way to the john.  Did I mention this painting was ABOUT the johns?While I am minding my own business painting this wall, some of the regulars gave me some ribbing...  I was asked to draw a design for a tattoo, and an old fart came by to ask if I was into body painting...  I turned him down.  I tell the owner, two minutes before closing that I would be back the next night.  (tonight)

Tonight I gave it all a second coat, third on some spots and I hope that it stops drinking in my paint. I have decided that my hand isn't as steady as it used to be and I learned a lesson not to use these paints on a wall ever again.  It's much better than it was.  More favorable comments, but the owner wasn't there to give me thumbs up, or pay me, or tell me she wouldn't pay for it.  Ever.

I finished at 7 and its decent.  Definitely not the best that I used to do.  See for yourself...


I can't claim the humor, that was given to me by the owner. I suppose at least half of the population will like it.

Well, if she doesn't like it, it can be painted over, I guess...
 Stay tuned....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...